Few people argue or try to discredit the value of a healthy lifestyle or the correlation between wellness and happiness and productivity. In fact, many successful entrepreneurs promote wellness and eliminating bad habits as a way of helping achieve personal as well as business goals.
The relationship between wellness and business does not stop there, however, as many of the same motivations and aspirations of the most fit individuals on the planet are the same as those of the most successful entrepreneurs. Here are a few of the best fitness quotes -- from professional athletes to actors to fitness experts -- and how business leaders can apply them to their professional careers.
1. "The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, seven-time Mr. Olympia
Just as in bodybuilding, the most success business leaders are those who understand their personal limits and find the willpower to push past them at every step in their career.
2. "In training, you listen to your body. In competition, you tell your body to shut up." - Rich Froning Jr., four-time CrossFit Games champion
When running a business, it is your training and education that provides you with the tools you need to succeed. When in action, however, it is your instincts that takes over. Like fitness, the more you train mentally, the better prepared you will be to meet challenges head on.
3. "You shall gain, but you shall pay with sweat, blood, and vomit." - Pavel Tsatsouline, chairman of StrongFirst and father of the modern kettlebell movement
Ask any successful entrepreneur about their path to success, and in almost every case it will be caked with blood, sweat and tears.
4. "If something stands between you and your success, move it. Never be denied." - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, professional wrestler and actor
In business as in life, our destinies are in our control. Therefore, anything that stands in our way of achieving our goals is simply something you need to remove and get past.
5. "There comes a certain point in life when you have to stop blaming other people for how you feel or the misfortunes in your life. You can't go through life obsessing about what might have been." - Hugh Jackman, actor and member of the 1000-pound deadlift club
The most successful entrepreneurs and business leaders never complain or blame others for failures. Instead, they take personal responsibility for every aspect of their lives and their business.
6. "Success is usually the culmination of controlling failure." - Sylvester Stallone, actor
Failure is an inevitable part of business. It is not a matter of if but rather when and how spectacularly you will fail. The sooner you come to grips with this, the better prepared you will be to learn and move on from every failure in business and in life.
7. "I will sacrifice whatever is necessary to be the best." - J.J. Watt, defensive end for the Houston Texans
While I believe in the importance of a life-work balance, the reality is that running a business successfully requires complete and utter focus and dedication. The more competitive the environment, the more important focus and dedication becomes.
8. "Most people give up right before the big break comes--don't let that person be you." - Michael Boyle, performance coach to the 2013 World Series Championship Red Sox and owner of Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning
We have all heard that clich that business is not about the destination, it is about about the journey. This is more accurate than most believe, and in too many cases, business leaders call it day after a few small and short-term successes. Building a business is not like building a model -- it is a task that never ends.
9. "I feel an endless need to learn, to improve, to evolve, not only to please the coach and the fans, but also to feel satisfied with myself." - Cristiano Ronaldo, forward for Real Madrid and captain of the Portuguese National Soccer Team
In fitness as in business, you are either learning and growing or falling behind. Never stop your personal pursuit of betterness.
10. "You're going to have to let it hurt. Let it suck. The harder you work, the better you will look. Your appearance isn't parallel to how heavy you lift, it's parallel to how hard you work." - Joe Manganiello, actor and one of the 100 Fittest Men of All Time
Like fitness, running a business is painful -- mentally as well as physically -- but the smarter you work, the less it hurts over time.
11. "You have to push past your perceived limits, push past that point you thought was as far as you can go." - Drew Brees, quarterback for the New Orleans Saints and 2010 Super Bowl MVP
An old coach once told me that our bodies can endure 20 percent more than we think they can. I believe mental toughness follows this same perceived limit, as most business struggles can be overcome with a calm, mental toughness.
12. "If you ain't pissed off for greatness, that just means you're okay with being mediocre." - Ray Lewis, two-time Super Bowl Champion
There is never a need to explain a Ray Lewis quote.
13. "When you have a clear vision of your goal, it's easier to take the first step toward it." - L.L. Cool J., rapper and actor
Setting a vision for your company as well as yourself is important for motivation and for measuring success. Every business leader needs a personal vision statement and set of goals that he or she revisits often.
14. "To keep winning, I have to keep improving." - Craig Alexander, 4-time Ironman World Champion
Great business leaders do not dwell in the past. The only time you should be reflecting on the past is to apply the lessons learned as you move forward.
15. "Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen." - Michael Jordan, 6-time NBA Championship winner
No successful entrepreneur ever built a business by talking about it. Great businesses are built by doers.
16. "We must appreciate and never underestimate our own inner power." - Noah Galloway, 2014 Ultimate Men's Health Guy
Every success entrepreneur has something inside him or her that provides the spark and fire that motivates them to start and to continually drives through difficult challenges. Unfortunately, self doubt and fear often impede this fire from burning as brightly as it could. Remove these mental obstacles, find the inner power that rests inside you, and you too can achieve whatever it is you set your sights on.