What are some horrific yet true cover letter mistakes? originally appeared on Quora - the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
Here are some fairly common cover letter mistakes:
- Writing the wrong company or persons name or job title or any piece of information.
- The same as above but the start of the cover letter addresses company A and the last paragraph mentions company B.
- Typos, especially if it's the name of the person who is reading the cover letter.
- Insulting the company culture or performance. (While pointing out ways you can improve the company can be prudent, depending on the role and application, it must be handled with tact.)
- Intimating that you're too good for the company.
- Not having a tailored cover letter.
- Not writing a cover letter when it's needed. In my experience, most people don't read them, but the people who do take them very seriously.
- Uploading a cover letter and no resume.
- Uploading a cover letter in a font that is unreadable.
- Name dropping someone that the hiring manager either doesn't know or does not like.
This question originally appeared on Quora - the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions: