- Teach them the value of money early on. Even if you can, don't buy them everything. Let them earn whatever they want.
- Teach them the value of hard work. Have them do work for you either at home or in your business or job and reward them.
- Teach them responsibilities. Teach them that they are responsible for their own things and certain things need to be done by them.
- Teach them the concept of sacrifice. To reach a goal in life, they might have to make sacrifices small and large.
- Teach them that every choice they make has pros and cons. They are the ones who have to live with the consequences.
- Teach them independence. Let them do things alone.
- Teach them perseverance. Sports and martial arts are great for this.
- Teach them competitiveness. Again, sports are probably the best way to try to get this out of a child.
- Help them with their creativity. Let them create things in total freedom with no influence from your side.
- Let them make decisions.
- Finally, the most important thing: Teach them that it is OK to fail. Some cultures emphasize perfect scores, being the best, winning, being first place, etc; but to be a successful entrepreneur, a child needs to be raised up in an environment where he is taught to stand up after a failure and learn from it and not let be down by it.
This question originally appeared on Quora - the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions:
Mar 12, 2018