What are tips and strategies for creating an effective night routine for a good nights sleep? originally appeared on Quora: The best answer to any question.
The most important thing is to create a transition to sleep. Here are 12 of my favorite tips:
1. Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, and cool (between 60 and 67 degrees).
2. No electronic devices starting 30 minutes before bedtime.
3. Don't charge your phone next to your bed. Even better: Gently escort all devices completely out of your bedroom.
4. No caffeine after 2 p.m.
5. Remember, your bed is for sleep and sex only--no work!
6. Sorry, Mr. Snuffles: No pets on the bed.
7. Take a hot bath with Epsom salts before bed to help calm your mind and body.
8. Pajamas, nightdresses, and even special T-shirts send a sleep-friendly message to your body. If you wore it to the gym, don't wear it to bed.
9. Do some light stretching, deep breathing, yoga, or meditation to help your body and your mind transition to sleep.
10. When reading in bed, make it a real book or an e-reader that does not emit blue light. And make sure it is not work-related: novels, poetry, philosophy--anything but work.
11. Ease yourself into sleep mode by drinking some chamomile or lavender tea.
12. Before bed, write a list of what you are grateful for. It's a great way to make sure your blessings get the closing scene of the night.
This question originally appeared on Quora. Ask a question, get a great answer. Learn from experts and access insider knowledge. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions: