Life Advice: What can people start doing now that will help them a lot in about five years? originally appeared on Quora - the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights.
- Keep a diary.
- Write down the key points of what you did each day. Doing so might seem trivial, but it will show how you spend your day.
- Write down thoughts you have for doing even simple things like buying something. What you write will show you where your money goes.
- At the end of every month, do a summary of what you have done, and mark out things you have achieved or failed to achieve. This review should include your income, health, buying items, fixing things.
- Put a value on your time. If you assess your time as being worth $20 an hour, then assess everything you do at that rate. So if writing and posting a letter takes half an hour, then it costs $10.
- Give yourself short-term goals. Write down what you hope to achieve in the next month. Then assess how well you did it. If you failed, then write down why.
- Have an exercise plan, and try hard to stick to it.
- You need to plan your personal life like you would plan a company. Put a value on what you do, who you know, how much you pay for anything, and how much your possessions and actions further your goals.
- Keep a clear record of your outgoing cash and your income. This record is not for accounting, but just to see if your lifestyle affects this in a way that courses a need for adjusting.
- Get rid of excess baggage. This covers items you don't need, habits that are distractions, friends who you will not miss, hobbies that absorb your resources.
- Mix with people who have similar goals to yourself. (This does not mean never mix with anyone else.)
- Don't assume you will ever have time to do things you can't do now or soon.
- Learn the difference between Urgent and Important.
- Don't rely on others to solve your problems. Try to solve all your problems even if they can be solved with money or help. Learning how to fix a dripping tap may seem needless, but it gives an insight into problem solving.
- Find out how other people solved their problems or failed to.
- Take an interest in people. Success comes from knowing how people work, not how things work.
This question originally appeared on Quora - the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions: