What are the most important lessons you've learned along your career and life journey? originally appeared on Quora - the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights.
I have about 10 life lessons that I've embraced on my career and life journey, and they are:
- Know what you stand for--and what you don't. It gives you clarity. I stand for persistence, hard work, and never taking shortcuts.
- Don't rest on your laurels. Instead, always strive for something outside of your comfort zone.
- Believe in the power of failure. It's the best way to learn. Just remember to learn from your mistakes, and not to repeat the same ones.
- Trust your inner compass, even when the naysayers do not.
- Take the risk that takes you somewhere new. I changed my career at age 30 and started over. It took me to where I am today.
- Look back--but only to see how far you've come. You won't see your next step if you're constantly retracing your last one.
- Don't be afraid to do the unexpected. That nervousness you feel means you're growing.
- Remain humble--but let 'em know. It's great to give credit more than you take credit, but when it's your turn to own it, do that.
- Never stop learning, because it gives you courage. The more knowledgeable you are, the more comfortable you feel.
- A winner never quits--a quitter never wins.
This question originally appeared on Quora - the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions:?