One of my new years resolutions is to spend more time with those I love and to spend more time pursing some of my hobbies which I've had no time to really enjoy since I started my business 8 years ago. The other resolution is to do more moving and less sitting in front of a screen. These resolutions will be tough follow through on because I'm a workaholic.
When you own a business (or just really love what you do), you probably find yourself working all of the time. However, it is important to have hobbies and passions outside of work. It is healthy to get out of the office and spend time doing other things. Believe me once I started taking a break and making time for other things my work got better.
Here are some reasons that you need to find some hobbies and passions outside of work:
1. When you continue to work late, you miss out on your friends and family. They will gradually get the hint that you are not interested in them and stop asking you to spend time with them. Eventually when you are interested in spending time with them, they will no longer be asking you.
2. What do you eat when you work late? Take out and fast food. You should be eating at home more so that your diet is healthier.
3. People who work late are less likely to exercise. Exercise is an important part of life, especially in a sedentary job. You need to get up and moving instead of sitting all day in front of your computer. So, make sure that you find time to fit some exercise in every day, even if you just take a walk during your lunch break. All movement counts.
4. Hobbies and passions will help you find good stress relief. After a few hours (or even a day) away, you might come back to your work much more refreshed and ready to accomplish a difficult task. Sometimes, when you get stuck, all you need is a break and you might find the answer right in front of you.
5. Burnout is common when people do not take breaks from their work. Instead, you work and work, until you get tired of doing what you used to love. Work starts becoming boring and something that you do not want to do anymore.
So take it from a workaholic...working 20 hours a day is unhealthy. It causes you to eat unhealthy food and sit too much. You lose out on time with your family and friends. You don't exercise. and you can lose the passion for your business. So take a break go walk the dog or throw the ball with your kid...you'll be more focused and ready to get back to work. In fact I've got to go my boy and I have a surfing lesson in a few minutes.
Please share on social media if you found this post helpful. If you have a comment or question, please post and add your voice to the conversation.