So what should you be spending your time on anyway? This is an extremely important question for all of us. But we often ignore it because we are so used to living life a certain way. We have gotten into a rut and we don't really care to make the effort to change anything. But by not caring, we are missing out on the best that life has for us. Sometimes, in the middle of all our business, it is hard to find the truly worthwhile activities. But by asking a few thoughtful questions, it is possible to find out which things really give us joy. Here are five questions to help you get started.
1. What activities can you see yourself doing in ten years? The really worthwhile activities are the ones that will last. Of all your activities, which ones do you want to continue for decades? Which ones can you do now and later in life? Which ones will hold your attention for years on end. These are the ones that you want to invest the most in.
2. What activities take you out of your comfort zone? Believe it or not, activities that stretch us will bring us joy. If we are always comfortable and at ease, we will eventually get bored with life. Activities that are constantly helping us learn and grow are the ones that will make us fulfilled. So you want to spend your time on activities that give you a little thrill - even a little scare sometimes.
3. What activities make you forget to check your phone and/or keep you from randomly surfing online? Let's be honest. We waste an awful lot of time on the internet. And after hours of staring at the TV or phone screen, we have to realize that we haven't really accomplished anything. And that feeling steals joy like nothing else. Joy-giving activities are the ones that are not random. They are purposeful and meaningful. They make us forget to do useless things. These are the activities that we want to engage in.
4. What activities give you long-term rewards? We want to invest our energy in activities that give back. But that also means that we have to think long term. Some activities sure seem rewarding. But think five years into the future, and they don't seem so attractive. Other activities seem tough now, but the future is really bright. So pace yourself, and figure out if an activity is going to be worth it in the long run.
5. What activities make you feel fulfilled? In the end, you need to sit back and figure out which activities truly make you feel fulfilled and happy. The activities that lead to accomplishment and enjoyment are the ones that you want to spend your time on. And if that means getting rid of other business and activities in your life, that is okay. This applies to people in your life. If you have people in your life that don't make you happy then limit your time with them. You want to fill your life with activities that truly give you joy.
It's time to evaluate our lives and what we are spending our time on! Sure, it takes courage. But in the end, it is completely worth it! So take the plunge and start searching for what brings you joy.