Need inspiration to get motivated and moving through a mountain of work? Plug in and listen to any one of these (or all of them!) empowering anthems. And put them on repeat on the morning of your big meeting.
- "Can't Hold Us Down" by Christina Aguilera and Lil' Kim--Because we've all been stung by the double standards at work. Been labeled aggressive, bitchy, or emotional? Own it, you assertive, leader-y, and passionate woman. Go get what's yours.
- "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!," by Shania Twain--Because being a woman is phenomenal. Ms. Maya told us so. A little reminder now and then feels good.
- "Girl on Fire" by Alicia Keys--Because this next big project win is yours. You got this.
- "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield--Because your story is far from over. You're just getting started... and the rest is still unwritten.
- "Respect" by Aretha Franklin--Because, yeah. And it's not just for scream singing on the dance floor with your mom and aunts at your cousin's wedding.
- "Run the World (Girls)" by Beyonc--Because it was true before and it's true now. And it'll be true tomorrow. You're part of something much bigger than yourself.
- "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar--Because sometimes you just want to hear a classic that takes you back to the days when you first believed you could be anything you wanted to be.
- "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" by Kelly Clarkson--Because sometimes you need a pick-me-up. No one else is going to do it for you.
- "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)" by En Vogue--Because you call the shots and saying "no" feels great.
- "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood--Because nothing says "don't mess with me" quite like slashing someone's tires. Not that you've ever done anything remotely like that, but you know, there's a first time for everything.
- "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten--Because taking back your life after going off track is big. It is way overplayed right now, but come back to it from time to time for that same "hell, yeah" you felt the first time you heard it.
- "Bossy" by Kelis--Because switching up the beat of the drum is part of the job. Crank this before your next conference call. Let them know that regardless of whether they love you or hate you, they'd better get out of your damn way.
- "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele- Because life teaches tough lessons but you come out stronger and more resilient. No one should underestimate you. Here's how Adele handles criticism.
- "Perfect" by P!nk--Because you're perfect exactly how you are. Right now. Today. And because what I want for my own daughters is what I want for us all. Know your value. Know your power.
Does anyone remember the Theme Song episode on Ally McBeal? I'm pretty sure mine was "Beautiful Life" by Ace of Base. Embarassing, I know. A lot has changed since then but music remains a source of strength and inspiration for many of us. It turns out that a great song isn't just empowering, science says it makes you healthier too.