Want more customers?
Then you need to make sure potential customers find you before they find your competitors.
To increase the visibility of your business, and attract more customers, you need local SEO (search engine optimization).
What is local SEO?
Local SEO is a digital marketing strategy. It involves the optimization of a website, social media content, and other elements to increase the visibility of a business in local search results.
If you want to attract more customers, local SEO is a great place to start. It can help you reach relevant, local consumers at the exact moment they are searching for products or services like yours.
Local search marketing can be challenging at first, especially if you're not familiar with basic SEO strategies. But fear not--below, you'll find a few best practices to help you get started, followed by an in-depth infographic guide to local SEO.
1. Build local links
You may already be familiar with the importance of a good link profile for SEO. Your link profile plays a huge role in determining your website's rank in local search results as well.
For local SEO, you need to build links from local websites and directories. Here are few ways to build local links:
- Participate in local awards (as a sponsor, attendee, or nominee) to build links from the official award websites and local publications.
- Participate in local charity drives and fundraisers to gain links from local publications and relevant websites that cover the event.
- Create local business listings on websites and business directories like Google My Business, Yelp, Bing Places, Yahoo! Local, and the Internet Yellow Pages.
2. Optimize your website
To improve the visibility of your business in local search results, you also need to optimize your website. Here are some local SEO tips to help you do so:
- Conduct keyword research and make a list of high-ranking, low-competition keywords that are location-specific, and relevant to your business.
- Use location-specific keywords to optimize the content on your website, including your landing pages, blog posts, meta descriptions, titles, URLs, and images.
- If you have multiple locations, create a separate landing page for each location. And make sure you optimize the content on each page with the relevant location name and keywords.
These are just a few of the ways you can boost the visibility of your business in local search results to attract more customers. To learn more about how to improve your local ranking, check out the infographic below.
(Click on the infographic to enlarge.)