A new study that was published in the American Psychological Association's journal revealed some thought-provoking facts about aging and self-worth. As it turns out, self-esteem seems to peak at age sixty. The goal of the research undertaken by Bern University, Switzerland, was to examine precisely how self-esteem develops over the course of a lifetime. Data was collected from 164,868 participants ranging from ages four to 94. The results illustrated that, on average, self-esteem increases in early and middle childhood, remains constant through adolescence, and continues to gain momentum well into young adulthood. After the age of 30, the study found that self-esteem follows a slow and steady pattern of growth, peaking strongly at age 60 through to age 70. It then begins to weaken, with a drastic drop in old age, from 90, onward.
Considering the continuum of our lives at particular junctures, the study findings seem logical. What struck me about this study, is that it can take up to 60 years to finally attain peak self-esteem, and feel at ease in your own skin. Many of us are challenged with self-esteem issues at one point or another but you can boost your self worth by working on your emotional resilience.
A different perspective can also be an elixir to shift your outlook. You cannot control the thoughts and actions of others, but you can certainly control how you respond to them. You and you alone have domain over your thoughts and outlook. If your confidence level or self-esteem has taken a blow recently, use the following quotes for inspiration. Life is often messy, but there are times when inspirational words of advice can help.
If a particular quote resonates with you, be sure to write it down, or put it into notes on your phone, and read it often. Just a simple thing, but it may contribute to a more positive mindset, and ultimately a healthier belief system.
1. "Low self-confidence isn't a life sentence. Self-confidence can be learned, practiced, and mastered -- just like any other skill. Once you master it, everything in your life will change for the better." -- Barrie Davenport
2. "We are what our thoughts have made us; so, take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." -- Swami Vivekananda
3. "Of all the judgments we pass in life, none is more important than the judgment we pass on ourselves." -- Nathaniel Branden.
4. "Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love." -- Brené Brown
5. "Until you value yourself, you won't value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it." -- M. Scott Peck
6. "Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself." -- Robert Collier
7. "I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: Turn back." -- Erica Jong
8. "There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity." -- Nathaniel Branden
9. "Listen to your heart above all other voices." -- Marta Kagan
10. "Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit." -- E.E. Cummings
11. "Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it." -- Dorothy M. Neddermeyer
12. "To establish true self-esteem, we must concentrate on our successes and forget about the failures and the negatives in our lives." -- Denis Waitley
13. "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -- Henry Ford
14. "Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... do your thing, and don't care if they like it." -- Tina Fey
15. "As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
16. "Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives." -- Louise L. Hay.
17. "You either walk inside your story and own it or you stand outside your story and hustle for your worthiness." -- Brené Brown
18. "If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." -- Thomas Alva Edison
19. "The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others." -- Dr. Sonya Friedman
20. "There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." -- Aldous Leonard Huxley
21. "Noble and great. Courageous and determined. Faithful and fearless. That is who you are and who you have always been. And understanding it can change your life, because this knowledge carries a confidence that cannot be duplicated any other way." -- Sheri L. Dew
22. "Having a low opinion of yourself is not 'modesty'. It's self-destruction. Holding your uniqueness in high regard is not 'egotism'. It's a necessary precondition to happiness and success." -- Bobbe Sommer
23. "When you're different, sometimes you don't see the millions of people who accept you for what you are. All you notice is the person who doesn't." -- Jodi Picoult
24. "Any successful person will tell you that there was a time when they were filled with self-doubt, but many learned quickly to act as if they felt confident. This is not being dishonest or being in denial." -- Terri Cole
25. "Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong." -- Peter McIntyre
26. "Self-worth cannot be verified by others. You are worthy because you say it is so. If you depend on others for your value it is other-worth." -- Wayne Dyer
27. "There are no real successes without rejection. The more rejection you get, the better you are, the more you've learned, the closer you are to your outcome. If you can handle rejection, you'll learn to get everything you want." -- Anthony Robbins
28. "With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world." -- Dalai Lama
29. "Have confidence that if you have done a little thing well, you can do a bigger thing well too." -- David Storey
30. "Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful." -- Mark Victor Hansen
31. "Someone else's opinion of you does not have to become your reality." -- Les Brown
32. "If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is, too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think." -- T. Harv Eker
33. "Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that's very important for good health." -- Dalai Lama
34. "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
35. "If you really put a small value upon yourself, rest assured that the world will not raise your price." -- Author Unknown