Do you know what I just spent way too long doing? Scrolling through all of my sent messages.
I realized two very important (and slightly embarrassing) things:
One: I send way too many emails. I mean way too many.
Two: I start nearly every single one with "I hope you're doing well!" Seriously. Every. Single. One.
Has anyone ever been full of more hope than me?
But, I've learned that landing on that perfect sentence that seamlessly segues into the rest of my note is an art form in and of itself.
Do you find yourself as stumped as I do? You're in luck. I've rounded up 40 different email greetings you can use to kick start your message. Because, let's face it--nobody actually means "Happy Monday!"
If You Need Something Formal
- Allow Me to Introduce Myself
- Good afternoon
- Good morning
- How are you?
- Hope this email finds you well
- I hope you enjoyed your weekend
- I hope you're doing well
- I hope you're having a great week
- I hope you're having a wonderful day
- It's great to hear from you
- I'm eager to get your advice on...
- I'm reaching out about...
- Thank you for your help
- Thank you for the update
- Thanks for getting in touch
- Thanks for the quick response
If You're Following Up on Something
- As promised, I'm...
- As we discussed on our call...
- Can you provide me with an update on...
- I'm checking in on...
- I'm getting back to you about...
- To follow up on our meeting...
If You Want to Get (Appropriately) Personal
- Congratulations on [recent accomplishment]
- How did [recent project] turn out?
- I hope you enjoyed your [event or vacation]
- I loved your recent [photo/article/social media post]
- I was just laughing the other day about [inside joke]
- I was just thinking about you and [shared memory]
- It was great to see you at [event]
- This [article/video/GIF] made me think of you
- [Mutual Contact] recommended I get in touch with you
If You're Feeling Funny
- Happy "Not Monday"
- Hello from the other side
- Here's the good news: Only [number] more days until Friday
- Hope you're surviving another workweek
- I hope you've had your coffee already
- It's me again
- I'll keep this short
- I'm sorry if this Message sabotaged "inbox zero" for you
- Just what you want: another email!
It's important to keep in mind that not all of these opening lines will be appropriate for every email you send. An important client or your boss, for example, will probably require something from the "formal" category. But, a close colleague or long-time friend? Well, he or she might get a kick out of a funny greeting that strays from the tried and true standards.
At any rate, there's no need to follow in my footsteps and begin every single one of your messages with the same greeting. Now that I have this list pulled together, you can bet I'll be using it as inspiration for all of my emails--and, I think you should too.
Have another opening line that you love to use? Let me know on Twitter what I missed.