George H.W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States, passed away on November 30th, 2018. As we reflect upon the powerful legacy of the 94-year-old icon, one thing was certain: He was full of heartfelt wisdom that, at its core, had merit to be the foundation for happiness and success. As such, these five inspirational quotes from George Bush Sr. are powerful enough to last several lifetimes:
1. "I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them."
George Bush Sr. really says something profound here. He stresses the need to be self-aware and disciplined of the opinions you have. Keep your ego in check and stay humble.
2. "Think about every problem, every challenge, we face. The solution to each starts with education."
For anyone embarking down a startup path, your true weapon is knowledge. In educating yourself about the market, the opportunity, the solution, etc., you become effectively prepared to make actionable decisions.
3. "I was offered a job on Wall Street by my uncle. But I wanted to get out. Make-it-on-my-own kind of thing."
Forge your own path. Define what success looks like for you and own it, wherever that may be.
4. "I think the spirit of America, one American wanting to make another American's life better, or internationally our desire to see countries do better, or people in countries do better, coming from this concept of volunteerism is a very valid and important part of our internal being."
Whether your passion is in nonprofit or for-profit work, create core values that strive to make an impact on those around you. Or become more activated within your community and give back with the knowledge you've gained on your journey so far.
5. "The American Dream means giving it your all, trying your hardest, accomplishing something. And then I'd add to that, giving something back. No definition of a successful life can do anything but include serving others."
Perfectly stated and encompasses the lifeblood of entrepreneurship and truly leading a successful life. It's not about how much you make, but rather the mark you leave behind.
Thank you, George H.W. Bush, for the lasting legacy and service to our country. Rest in peace.