It is late on Friday evening and you are delighted it is the weekend, but honestly, how was your Friday? A desperate race to catch up and respond to countless requests and overdue deadlines? Or did you bury yourself in your office to respond to the endless incoming streams of messages, slack pings, notifications, and email?
It doesn't have to be that way.
Mark Zuckerberg has an open question and answer session with all employees every Friday where anyone can ask him anything. It is a Facebook tradition, part of his Friday ritual that he intentionally sets and sticks to ruthlessly.
While you think back and consider how your day went, here are 9 ways you can make every Friday inspiring and energizing:
1. Start your Friday with you-time
2. Call someone you know who energizes and inspires you
3. Physically walk the floors and go and say hello to your team
4. Take a group of your employees to lunch
5. Ask your employees what they three decisions they would make if they were CEO for a day.
6. Review your successes from your week and reflect on your insights
7. Write hand written thank you notes to express your gratitude to someone
8. Briefly plan next week, set your goals and make sure your calendar gives you space and time to achieve your priorities not someone else's.
9. Choose how and when you end your day, thoughtfully.
Creating rituals for your day is a crucial part of being ruthless, in a thoughtful way with how you manage your time, your energy and your resources. You can hear more in my book, Thoughtfully Ruthless: The Key to Exponential Growth (Wiley, April 2016). Sign up here to get early access to a free chapter.
Pick which ideas sound most compelling to you and experiment next Friday and you may just end your week excited and inspired rather than slowly crawling over the finishing line and collapsing in a heap.