1. "Above all, innovation is work rather than genius. It requires knowledge, it often requires ingenuity, and it requires focus" - Peter Drucker
There are those who think that creativity simply happens. It doesn't. It takes work, experimentation, learning, and sweat.
2. "Those who live by the sword... get shot by those who don't" - Gary Hamel
Hamel perfectly presented the essence of radical innovation. Winning is often not achieved through "playing by the rules." It is achieved through breaking them. This is why market newcomers are more successful that the incumbents who are held back by restrictions that don't exist.
3. "At any rate, we have seen that intellect and achievement are far from perfectly correlated" - Lewis Terman
After conducting the longest psychological research in history, and in fact some 40 years before it was finally over, after observing more than 1,500 geniuses, Terman discovered the genius does not equate creativity or results.
4. "Creativity is a mode, not an identity" - Neil Stevenson
It was thought that some people are more creative than others. However, the combination of old ideas into new ideas occurs in the brain at certain times, when the brain is in "neutral", such as at the shower. You can createcircumstances for yourself to increase the likelihood of creativity modes.
5. "The future cannot be predicted, but futures can be invented." - Dennis Gabor
This quote was attributed to many people, and I wouldn't be surprised if even I, with the research I conducted, am wrong too... This quote proposed taking a proactive approach to creating the future.
6. "We are defined not by the technologies we create but the process in which we create them." - Clarence (Kelly) Johnson
Kelly Johnson, the creator of Lockheed's Skunk Works, suggested that creativity is a process, more than an outcome.
7. "Business has only two--and only two--basic functions: marketing and innovation" - Peter Drucker
Do I need to say more?
8. "Culture eats strategy for breakfast" - Not Peter Drucker
9. "Work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence" - Lawrence Peter
This is the original "Peter Principle." The creativity takeaway--use people as individual contributors in the area they are the strongest. Don't promote them to management. You would kill their creativity.
10. "We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way." - George S. Patton
While a leadership quote, it also emphasizes the importance of both leaders and followers in the creative team. You need both.
11. "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply." - Stephen R. Covey
Team creativity is based on the ability to build on each other's ideas. But for that, you must listen with intent to understand. Then think about it, and then add to it.
12. "Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn." - Xun Kuang
Although indirect, this famous quote suggest the hands-on experimentation as key to creativity. Try, fail, try again.
13. "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." - Chinese Proverb
Don't think about missed opportunities. Start now. Now is always a good time. Maybe not the best, but almost.
14. "Creativity is undermined unintentionally every day in work environments that were established--for entirely good reasons--to maximize business imperatives such as coordination, productivity, and control." - Teresa Amabile
This quote is taken from Amabile's 1998 article How to Kill Creativity, which inspired the title of my latest book, Un-Kill Creativity, and my PhD dissertation, From Startup to Maturity, which led to it.
15. "There is no I in team, but there are two I's in Innovation and two in Creativity. It's all about people, and how you motivate them to be creative." - Yoram Solomon
Why not? A quote of my own. You've always heard that "there is no I in team," suggesting the elimination of individualism in a team. I believe in the opposite. Great, creative ideas come from individuals. They then combine into great team ideas. But they start with people. The words Creativity and Innovation helped me greatly in delivering this message...