By Nick Heethuis, Co-Founder of GrowthFire
They say that "a picture is worth a thousand words." That's especially true on Amazon.
As a professional seller and brand consultant on Amazon since 2013, I can tell you the right images on Amazon are worth more than just a thousand words. They can potentially be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars for you and your brand.
The Role of Amazon Images
Your images are among the most important elements of your Amazon listing. Their job is to introduce and sell your product.
Within seconds, your Amazon images create the first impression millions of potential customers have of you and your brand. Will they click? Or will they scroll on by?
Effective Amazon listing images answer each of the following questions:
- What is this product?
- What specifically is this product used for?
- How is this product better than the competition?
- How will this product improve my life?
I test the effectiveness of images by reviewing Amazon listings without reading a single word of copy. I look only at the images with those four questions in mind. I won't read titles, bullets or product descriptions. If a set of images quickly answers all four of those questions, the images have done their job.
Types of Amazon Images
Amazon listing images fall into two broad categories: the hero image and the supporting images.
It's often said that the hero image gets the click and the supporting images get the conversion.
The hero image is the picture of your main product. It should be flawless. Your product should display crisply on a flat white background. The image should be at least 1,000 pixels -- larger is preferable -- and the product itself should take up 85% of the image's frame.
The best supporting images are lifestyle and infographic images.
Lifestyle images are simple. They just show people using and benefitting from your products. Using models, props and real-life scenery helps bring your product to life by providing scale, dimension and context. Lifestyle images help shoppers imagine themselves using your product.
Best Practices for Infographic Images
Infographic images are incredibly powerful. They use text and graphics to highlight important selling points, features and benefits of your product.
Remember, people are skimming through listings on Amazon, making instantaneous decisions. The purpose of your infographic image is to grab their attention by directly addressing their needs. That means any text you use with infographics needs to be clear, concise, simple and direct.
Here are some of the most effective ways to use infographics with Amazon listings:
- Zoom in on a key selling point of your product, and magnify a benefit that potential customers might otherwise overlook.
- Illustrate your product's size or weight by comparing it to a common item such as a quarter, a pen or a hand.
- Demonstrate how to use your project with an infographic. Break your image into quadrants, with each quadrant showing a separate step in the process.
- For products that include multiple items (set or kits), use an infographic to lay out and highlight each element.
- Point out key differences between your product and your competitors'. Create an infographic chart to list reasons shoppers choose you over the competition. Highlight the features your product has with green checkmarks, and display a red "X" for the features the competition doesn't have.
The most successful Amazon sellers understand the power of images to make or break a sale. Don't cut corners. Take time to create the most impactful way to display your product visually.