By Solomon Thimothy, founder of OneIMS and Clickx
A company's vision is one of the most important foundational pieces of an organization. It gives the company a direction to move and a larger purpose for employees to rally behind. Without a clear vision, the company gets stuck.
As an entrepreneur, you probably already know this. You've also most likely invested serious time into outlining a vision for your company and getting everyone on your team excited about it.
But what about a vision for your life? We often don't think about our life's vision the same way we do a company vision -- but they really are the same.
Just like a company's vision, establishing a vision for your life gives you a direction to move. The long-term goal that comes from creating a life vision can give you clarity and allow you to see where you're headed -- meaning you can more easily control your life's outcome.
Here's why creating a vision for your life is so important.
1. A vision puts substance behind your goals.
Goal setting is crucial for moving forward. Without establishing goals, it's harder to create a path to success. If you're just creating goals without a larger destination in mind, it's fruitless labor.
Think of your vision like that destination. It's your end goal. It gives you a larger purpose to outline the little goals you set along the way. It's your finish line.
Creating a vision puts meaning behind your goals. Instead of just setting small goals arbitrarily and hoping you end up in the right place, have a long-term destination to progressively move in the right direction.
2. A vision makes it easier to get through roadblocks.
When you're trying to grow as an entrepreneur, you're destined to run into some roadblocks. If you're not struggling, you're not trying hard enough. But when you hit those hurdles, you need something that pushes you through.
Your life vision does just that. When you have something to focus on, you recognize just how important getting through each roadblock is.
Set a life vision that keeps you focused -- something that will make you want to work even harder when those difficult situations arise. When you know what you're working toward, those hurdles will seem much smaller.
3. A vision sets your expectations.
Success is hard to define. What is considered "successful" for one entrepreneur might be entirely different for another. Some want to pour everything into building just one business, while others want to create and create.
Knowing your life vision allows you to set your expectations for success. When you know what you want to accomplish in life, you'll know if you're getting closer to meeting your own personal expectations of success.
Having a life goal can help you stay focused on your own path -- not those around you. When you know what success means to you and your business, you can feel confident in the business decisions that you're making.
Find the vision for your life.
Your life vision is uniquely yours -- which means you need to find it for yourself. Here are some steps you can follow for finding the vision for your life.
- Identify what is important to you. What do you believe in? What do you want to see changed, or what don't you want to see change? Figure out what is most important to you.
- Be creative. Now isn't the time to be safe in goal setting. Your life vision should be something far-reaching and hard to accomplish, but it should make you excited. Think outside the box.
- Write a vision statement. You've probably already created a vision statement for your business. Now it's time to create one for yourself.
- Outline your steps. Even if your vision seems far away, you should be able to outline the steps you need to take or the things you need to accomplish to make that possible. Roughly outline what those steps might be to make your vision a reality.
Don't let creating a life vision cause you to feel overwhelmed -- you can always change your plan. Just get started. If you find that your goals or priorities change, you can revisit your vision at any time.
Solomon Thimothy, founder of OneIMS, a growth agency as well as Clickx, a digital marketing analytics platform for agencies and businesses.